Monday 17 October 2011

Eggplant Jam

Eggplant Jam

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/2 pounds small eggplants
2 lemons, juiced
6 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
5 whole cloves
3 tablespoons salt
water


PREPARATION:

Pierce the eggplants with a fork in the peel. Let sit in cold salted water for one hour. Place eggplants in fresh water and boil for 10 minutes.

Drain well and place in a pot  with the sugar and water to cover. When the sugar is dissolved add the spices and lemon juice. Cook for another 20 minutes and remove from the fire. Let the eggplants rest overnight. Simmer until syrup is thick. Test the syrup by dropping a little onto a saucer. If the drops do not spread, setting point is reached.
picture to  follow.
I love reading this E mag called sweet paul


Made with the harvest from Sunday

Bulghur salad


 1½ cups bulghur
  3 cups boiling water
  2tblsp lemon juice
  1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
  2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
   1 tomato, chopped in cubes
   1 cucumber chopped in cubes
   ½ cup sliced green onions
   3 tablespoons lemon juice
   ¼ cup olive oil or less
   1 teaspoon salt
   ⅛ teaspoon pepper


    Place bulghur in bowl and cover with boiling water; add 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
    Drain if necessary, and then add parsley and mint. Toss until steaming stops.
    Add tomato, cucumber, and green onions.
    In small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and mix well. Drizzle over salad and toss.
    Serve immediately or cover and chill for a few hours before serving. I like leaving it for a while.

 Eggplant and mayonaise salad 


 A lot of work but so tasty I love it spread on toast with a slice of tomato

PREPARATION:


INGREDIENTS:

6 comments:

  1. I'll need to try and get this made this week. I have lots of eggplants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy! I seem to have somehow missed visiting you for quite some time, so I'm really pleased you popped by and 'reminded' me! Thank you!

    Since I was last here, I see you have a new header. So nice to 'meet' your lovely furry companions :)

    I have never heard of Eggplant Jam before today! I have only ever eaten them as a savoury dish on their own, or as an addition to other savoury dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eggplant jam - new one on me. I just eat them battered and fried, if served here.

    Love the dogs, such sweeties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eggplant jam???? This sounds really interesting. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for BOTH new recipes, Cathy! They look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always love stopping by your blog :]

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a few words, I love to know what youre thinking.