Tuesday 26 April 2011

Yesterday I felt a little silly today.....

I decided I am going to find out what else I have been weeding out of our garden. So far I have found Mallow (Malva) which can be eaten and is supposed to be good for you as well; I found this on Wikipedia.
 
Several species are widely grown as garden flowers, while some are invasive weeds, particularly in the Americas where they are not native.
Many species are edible as leaf vegetables. Known as ebegümeci in Turkish, it is used as vegetable in Turkey in various forms such as stuffing the leaves with bulgur or rice or using the boiled leaves as side dish. Malva verticillata (Chinese: 冬寒; pinyin: dōngháncài, Korean: 동규자is grown on a limited commercial scale in China; when made as a herbal infusion, it is used for its colon cleansing properties and as a weight loss supplement.
Very easily grown, short-lived perennials often grown as ornamental plants. Mild tasting young mallow leaves can be a substitute for lettuce, whereas older leaves are better cooked as a leafy green vegetable. The buds and flowers can be used in salads.
Cultivation is by sowing the seeds directly outdoors in early spring. The seed is easy to collect, and they will often spread themselves by seed.
In Catalonia (Southern Europe) they use the leaves to cure stinging nettles

Well I am sure there be a lot more weeds in the garden I might even start to cultivate and save the seeds..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a few words, I love to know what youre thinking.